Ideas (meticulously thought out by Curiosity himself)
- A boxing ring at the centre of your work place, that has a giant bell hung on top to signal the commencement of a no-holds-barred fight to the death.
- Vegetables that taste like meat and meat that tastes like vegetables
- A computer embedded in your brain that will replay all of your fondest memories in your mind during times of extreme distress.
Suggestions (taking suggestions from strangers is what got me through puberty)
- If you don’t like reading books, try to make friends with someone who does. Doing this will help you stay away from books.
- While sitting in a public place, move close to someone and pretend you got a phone call. Lower your voice while talking into the phone and say,” its contagious. Doctor says I shouldn’t be within 10 feet of anyone”.
- The next time you see someone get abnormally angry, sad or frustrated, head over to them and give them a big hug. Then whisper into their ear, “I killed Mufasa”.
I read a post on Reddit today titled “People who have friends. How?”. Simple question with complicated answers. Believe me when I tell you that this post was up-voted by thousands and thousands of people. So I assume that a lot of people could relate. Whenever I come across such posts , I feel the sudden urge to make a reassuring comment(even though I suck at this sort of thing myself). So being the social animal that I am, I make outstanding comments that often lead to me getting banned from commenting. Just kidding. My comments actually do really well. I usually get a good amount of positive response. I just don’t reply to them. Because you know…anxiety is a bitch. It bites you with specially sharpened surgical-knife-grade-teeth.
There were also questions like “why do I exist?”, “I am lonely, what do I do?” My advice- No one can give you a solution to your specific problem. You need to find that out for yourself. You need to try out new things until you find that special thing that makes you happy. What I can tell you are the things that I do to keep me sane. They are in no way ‘solutions’ to your problems but they might help. Wait a minute…why am I replying to a Reddit post on WordPress? Who gives a shit.
It might sound absurd but I’ve found travelling really helps. I feel like it awakens dormant parts of the brain and obviously you meet new people along the way(not me, I loose the ability to speak when I travel). Every once in a while I am reminded that I don’t have any friends. I’ve got a little trick up my sleeve for those situations which is, I pack my bags and leave. Yup. I just leave. I go on short trips. I take the train, I walk around, I smell the air, I eat the food, I take a leak, I take some pictures(without disturbing others), then I come back home and I write about it(LIKE A BOSS). And somehow, I hate the world a little less when I get back. I feel like there are good people out there.
Once, I joined an after-school programme for athletics training. It was during that time that my PE teacher encouraged me the most. He said,” Run away Curiosity, run away, and never return”. Wait…that’s Lion King. Anyway… it was good advice.